The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released new optional COVID-19 guidelines to reduce quarantine time for individuals who have been in close contact with a positive COVID-19 case, but do not have symptoms.
Victoria ISD will begin following these new optional guidelines for all VISD staff and students on Thursday, December 3, 2020.
The CDC currently recommends a quarantine period of 14 days; however, based on local circumstances and resources, the following options to shorten quarantine will be adopted by VISD as of Thursday, December 3, 2020.
- Quarantine can end after Day 10 without testing and if no symptoms have been reported during daily monitoring.
- Quarantine can end after Day 7 if the individual tests negative on Day 5 or thereafter.
Individuals may discontinue quarantine at the above timepoints only if the following criteria are also met:
- No evidence of COVID-19 symptoms during the entirety of the quarantine; and
- Daily symptom monitoring continues through quarantine Day 14; and
- Individuals must be counseled regarding the need to adhere strictly through quarantine Day 14 to all recommended non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs).
NPIs that can be practiced by individuals include the following: correct and consistent mask use, social distancing, hand and cough hygiene, environmental cleaning and disinfection, avoiding crowds, ensuring adequate indoor ventilation, and self-monitoring for symptoms of COVID-19 illness.